Sunday, December 4, 2011

Frosted Window Panes...

I’m not usually on the road at in the morning, but last Thursday I was headed to the Certified Angus Beef meeting room to pick up what remained of my stock after their Christmas Show & Sale.  It was my second such show and at the very end of the day, someone bought the dragonfly wing earrings and the Tiger Swallowtail butterfly wing pendant.  Even though everyone who sees my wing pieces catches their breath when they find out they’re made from REAL wings, this jewelry is not for everyone.  Not unlike switching summer dresses for chunky sweaters, finding real wings is seasonal so I await next summer with baited breath.

Being on the road at last Thursday morning was a gift; the landscape was covered in a heavy frost.  I call it hoar frost and someone on Wikipedia wrote:  “The name hoar comes from Old English and can be used as an adjective for showing signs of old age in reference to the frost which makes trees and bushes look like elderly white hair.”  I like that definition.  Everything was still.  Everything was quiet.  Kind of like what the carol Silent Night says – “all is calm, all is bright”.  Evidence of the death of fall was everywhere.  And it was beautiful.  Really beautiful. 

In our road trip last month, we saw the same vision while driving through northern Ontario one morning.  The only sign of life was a lone wolf standing in the middle of a small, frozen pond.  I’m not sure why I’m so smitten with this image.  Perhaps it goes to simplicity.  Being in awe of what’s in front of us and not taking it for granted.  My friend, Ginny, has a generous bird feeder hanging from the tree in her front yard.  She has the most beautiful collection of birds who frequent her feeder daily.  Ginny also has a hunter kitty.  One day she handed me a handful of feathers – striking, red feathers, and striped grey/brown and black.  Sadly, she explained that they belonged to one of the cardinals and a Carolina wren that used to visit her feeder.  She hoped I could use them.  I’ve added them to the Khepri jewelry.  Wings.  Of all kinds.

No comments:

Post a Comment